Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas...and Amazon



As promised, here is the classic Christmas tree train layout.  It went a bit overboard with trying to use all of the pieces, so I cut back after making the complete layout.
 When I cut back this looping section was cut out and the track paralleled the other curve around the tree.  Having the entire layout was a bit much and we needed something a bit smaller that stayed near the tree.  Even though several pieces were removed it was still nice to have a cool double loop around the tree this year.




One of the benefits with wooden train sets is that many of the brands play well with each other.  While all of the pieces have been purchased from Ikea so far, there are some pieces that I would love to add, but I haven't been able to yet.  This is where Amazon becomes my best friend, usually.  In this case, not so much.  I had seen a 100-piece set, but had to think about my willingness to spend the $$ for the set:

The set includes some great additions that I currently do not have such as the straight/curve split and the y split.  It also has two pieces that allow for an intersection.  The ff and mm pieces would allow me to create a path that allows the trains to naturally reverse themselves.  Needless to say, I eventually came around to spending the money to get the set...and it was out of stock.  That was over two weeks ago.  It isn't back in stock yet and Amazon states that the do not know if or when it will be back in stock.  I am seriously hoping that it comes back because it would make a nice addition to my set. 

If I am able to add the set, I fear that I will be forced by necessity to end the "every piece must be used rule."  Of course, I will have to attempt at least one design using every piece, but it will likely take a considerable effort to do so.  You can be certain there will be a post if and when I add the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment