Sunday, April 29, 2012

The new track set

I have finally had some time to play with the new track set and it adds a lot to what I can do with my layouts.  Originally I could simply do a basic figure 8 with a bridge going across the middle (or a basic oval):
Now I can do a figure 8 with an oval and I have an intersection in the middle instead of a bridge over the track:
Not much different, but the straight-curve split makes some things easier that the v-split could not handle as well.  The other addition is the ability to reverse the train directions with 2 MM and 2 FF pieces:
You can clearly see the FF piece up at the top that allows this loop that can reverse a train on the main track.  I have not yet used it in design, but rest assured that I will.

With the basics explained, it's time to move to more complex designs.  The first layout was more experimenting with what I had and did not use every new piece.  I was playing with putting all of my new switchers close to each other.  Not the best layout as trains became stuck in certain loops:
You can see the new bridge piece and the pile of unused pieces in this layout.  The bridge system with the new pieces is not quite as good as the IKEA set.  The elevating pieces require a support unlike the IKEA set.  The support blocks are also not as stable.  The flanges on the sides that hold the track or another block in place are not as high and so it is easier for tracks to slip off.  On the plus side, it is easier to place the blocks at odd angles as the next design will show:


The base of this design is the figure 8.  I added the Y-split to create the overlapping elevated sections.  Near the top, you can see the one support between tracks that is not exactly under the elevated track.  With the IKEA set, this would not have been possible.  This layout does use the entire 100-piece addition.  If you look back at the Christmas post, you can see the various pieces that I acquired.  One of the other nice additions is the set of tighter curves.  The U-turn at the top of the design is much tighter than the curves in the figure 8 part.  This will make it possible to turn in a smaller space and possibly fit more layout into an overall smaller space.

Now that you have been introduced to the new pieces, I expect some design suggestions from my readers.  I will be revisiting the cloverleaf designs with some new twists and some new figure 8 combinations.  Obviously, I need to tackle the "use every piece layout."  That will be a very serious undertaking.  Hopefully I will get started on that sometime in the next few weeks.  Until then, I challenge you to find you inner child and have some creative fun.

Conductor Crim


No comments:

Post a Comment